Tuesday 28 December 2010

Red Dwarf (1988)

The cult TV show from the BBC ran from 1988 to 1999 and was then briefly resurrected for the Easter weekend of 2009.  In total then that all adds up to eight and bit series worth of comedy sci-fi which in its self is quite impressive.
I don’t know how I feel about the show any more.  I was there from the start and although the production values got better and better as it went along I’m not sure the jokes did.  Or maybe it just kept telling the same jokes but with more sophisticated delivery, either way it out-stayed its welcome in my house and I never bothered to watch the 09 specials.  And with all that said I do feel the urge to acknowledge that it had a great original premise, a good cast of characters and riffed off its sit com roots as much as its sci-fi.
Anyway we’ll be back round this way more than once as the show chucked up a number of different space suits over the years.  We’ll start with this one though seen briefly but repeatedly in the show’s opening credits.
On closer inspection; yes it is an Outland helmet and possibly an Outland backpack (worn at the front in order make room for the paint cylinders on Lister’s back).
 
Steve

3 comments:

  1. I loved this show, somewhat funny, usually at least one real good laugh per episode.This show was aimed at non Sci-Fi audiences but it got me .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought but is the silver spacesuit itself a left over prop from Moonraker? The quilted part on the arms and legs and under the arms was a nod to 2001..where as the helmet and backpack were from Outland

    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  3. could be right about the suit. I do mention Outland as the source of helmet and back pack , below the last picture.

    ReplyDelete