Saturday 13 August 2016

Solaris (1972)

I've already blogged Solaris twice now; the 1968 Russian television two parter and the 2002 Steven Soderbergh (re-remake).  I never thought to do the 1972 Tarkovsky version because as memory served, there were no spacesuits in it.

... which actually turned out to be nonsense as you can all see in the picture above. No?

Any way I was happy in my misremembering right up until Blog-follower Tim mentioned a certain picture in a certain book he had been looking at.  Somewhat spookily I instantly new which old book and the very page and picture he was describing because I had owned a copy since 1978 and actually had it on the desk in front of me, having recently been blogging about it over in Strange England. (more of which below) however here is the reveal...

  
Yes it was in the closet all along!
 
Now I did watch Solaris, back in the late 80's but I fancy it may have been on a Friday night when I was slightly drunk and sleepy so if the suit comes off the hanger and gets worn I don't remember it.  Those with a fresher memory may wish to enlighten me in the comments below.

Anyway, there you have it and thanks again Tim.


Steve.

PS

If any others of you actually own a copy of this:-
 ...you may enjoy a little ramble along the Ley lines of Strange England, starting here:-

14 comments:

  1. The 1972 version is mentioned in the book 2001: The Lost Science volume II stating that it was influenced by 2001, which I can see. As for the 2002 movie, I thought it was quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. can't remember enough about the 72 version I should watch it again. I liked the 2002 re-remake as well.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its an excellent movie but its one you have to be in the right mood to watch,often considered to be the ussrs equivalent of 2001 even tho they are very different films.
    The suit I suspect is very likely real either a berkut or a yastreb,we see the helmet from this being used in large numbers in the movie moon rainbow/Lunnaya raduga and we see both the suit and helmet in the movie Vozvrashchenie s orbity,so its not just the gsh-6a that gets used.
    And speaking of the yastreb look whats for sale on ebay,if I won lotto I would buy this and the orlan
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Original-Soviet-RUSSIA-EVA-SPACESUIT-Yastreb-FLOWN-IN-SPACE-1969-Soyuz-4-5-RARE-/182239423547?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the film a lot, and I agree it deserves to be on the same shelf as 2001. The theme is more about social alienation than science, but I like the fact it isn't a love story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not a bad flick, Tarkovsky is doing his water thing in it, not the like the incident light stuff in Stalker but as a thematic element, you know the kind of thing fire and water? In that way, I think of it as a bit of journeyman piece, a bit showy but lacking a bit of focus. Stalker on the other hand, flippin' 'eck, Ridley Scott really should've given him a credit on Blade Runner. Stalker is the film where Tarkovsky's skill as film maker accrued to level where it really gelled with his dramatic/thematic intuition.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what hangs there must be a Yastreb spacesuit (build in 1966)
    during production of movie was the Suit obsolete and replace by more advance models.
    http://www.armaghplanet.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/IMAGE-of-Yastreb-spacesuit.jpg

    if you enjoy Tarkovsky's Solaris, Try his "Stalker"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think I've had the pleasure. I will seek it out

      Delete
    2. When I was rewatching this I noticed something a bit amusing: the connections were removed from the spacesuit before it was used in the film. And instead of covering the big, gaping holes with gaffers' tape or a mission patch, they were left wide open.

      Delete
  7. Another vote for Stalker here, although it's not a spacesuit film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thought you might like this: https://www.behance.net/gallery/27169991/Scifi-Spacesuits

    I'm being dense but I'm not sure on the two on the right, Armageddon & The Martian is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firefly and Star Trek the Motion Picture.

      It's mentioned in the comments, and I double checked. Which I point out not to poke fun (I didn't recognize the suits either) but because I don't want to take unfair credit.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Mr Primate. Very nice. Cheers John for finding the answers

      Delete