Monday 24 September 2012

Journey to the Seventh Planet (1962)


I've never seen this but I want to.  What was the point of all those rainy Saturday afternoons, late night Fridays and Wednesday night double bills watching BBC 2 if something like this can just slide on by unseen.
To paraphrase Wikipedia..... During a journey to an Uranus an alien presence briefly assumes control of the ship's crew. When they awaken they notice a long period of time has passed.  Upon landing on Uranus, they find a forested land oddly like our own rather than the cold, bleak world they were expecting. The forest is surrounded by a mysterious barrier and when one of the crew pushes his arm through it, it is freezes. New features and forms begin to appear each time they are imagined by the crew and soon they discover that they have been the victims of a mind controlling, one-eyed brain living in a cave. The alien brain plans to possess the astronauts and have them take it back to Earth where it will implement a plan for global domination.
One assumes it doesn't, they don't and ultimately that the good guys win.  I'll let you know if I ever get to see it.







Steve

4 comments:

  1. Man, those suits got around, or is it just the helmets this time? I'll have to refresh my memory.

    The poster was just beautiful. Too bad we got these rectangular visors instead, though I imagine the curved ones didn't film so well or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Off the top of my head I can't tell you where else they've been but I'm sure they did the rounds as well. I will track them down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Angry Red Planet, I recall was one such film, but I'm sure there's more.

      Delete
  3. These look like some sort of high pressure altitude helmet or something with a stuck on visor: the suits themselves are probably either wetsuits or skisuits, very DIY feeling here, its charming

    ReplyDelete